Cinnamon is a spice that comes from the inner bark of tree branches from the Cinnamomum species. This popular spice has been used to regulate blood sugar and is known for its anti-diabetic effects. It works by lowering your fasting blood glucose which helps to avoid blood sugar spikes. Even smelling this spice can increase brain activity so it’s a great add to your morning coffee. Cinnamon is a delicious addition to everything from fall baking, to smoothies, to oatmeal, and even your hot chocolate. Here’s a delicious recipe for you to enjoy!
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons grated piloncillo (unrefined Mexican sugar found in the ethnic section of the grocery store/can substitute brown sugar)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chili powder
- 5 ounces (130 g) high-quality extra dark chocolate (over 70%), chopped
- 2 pinches of flake sea salt
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the milk, piloncillo, cinnamon and pepper until warmed through and the sugar has dissolved.
- Whisk in the chocolate and cook, whisking constantly, until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is steaming hot and beginning to thicken (about 3 minutes).
- Serve and enjoy!